Green Highland Renewables
Job Title: Apprentice Engineering Technician (Multiskilled Engineering Apprenticeship)
Directly responsible to: Operations and Maintenance Manager
Hours of work: 37 hours
Salary: Expected salary range would be £12.5k – £19k, increasing upon successful completion of each year
Green Highland Renewables is a subsidiary company within the SIMEC Atlantis Energy Group (SAE). At SAE we have set ourselves the ambitious goal of becoming the largest independent generators of sustainable energy in Europe. SAE is a global developer of renewable energy projects with more than 1,000 megawatts of power projects in various stages of development, including our flagship tidal stream project, MeyGen, run-of-river hydro schemes up in the Scottish Highlands and the largest waste-to-energy conversion project in Europe, Uskmouth Power Station.
We now have the exciting opportunity for two keen and enthusiastic apprentices to join us on our journey to revolutionise the world’s sustainable energy solutions.
For the duration of the apprenticeship, you will be based in Dingwall working out of the Green Highland Renewables (GHR) office. GHR specialise in developing run-of-river hydro schemes, identifying potential and implementing innovative development strategies in order to progress projects through every step of the development cycle. You will also gain exposure to the Tidal Energy part of the business and be required to assist with the ongoing activities if and when required.
Summary of Role
The role will involve a tailored course working towards a certificate of Modern Apprenticeship (MA) delivered in partnership with the University of Highlands and Islands (UHI).
You will be trained in Electrical, Controls and Mechanical Engineering by undertaking a structured training program of academic study and workshop/site works to gain the required skills and knowledge to support the research requirements of portfolio of Hydro and Tidal assets.
- Learning core skills used in the maintenance of electrical networks, control systems and mechanical plant such as:
- Health, Safety and the Environment, including risk assessments and safe working procedures
- Daily disciplines will include safety checks on all PPE, preparing parts at Service Base, maintain a clean and organized Service Base, clean and organized work vehicle
- Use of hand and power tools
- Mechanical and Electrical fitting
- Use of test and analytical equipment
- Electrical fault finding and diagnosis, including the potential use of multi-meters to trace wiring faults or faulty motors (circuit breakers as examples)
- Hydro systems operation
- Rotating machinery
- Reading engineering drawings
- Maintenance management systems
- To undertake and successfully complete suitable college courses throughout the training period, achieving the academic grades and practical skills to entitle yearly progression leading to the award of a suitable HND qualification in systems engineering.
- To learn how to maintain hydro equipment and to keep it in good repair.
- To maintain a logbook over the duration of the apprenticeship period, recording projects that have been undertaken and the skills learned.
- To gain vocational qualifications and skills essential to ensure safe working in exposed areas such as:
- 4 x 4 and all-terrain vehicle driving
- Confined space operations
- High Voltage and Low Voltage accreditation
- First aid
- Daily communications with the Supervisor, Lead Technician, Local Technicians, Planner and Tech Planner, Customer Service Engineer and our customers.
- 5S regime & workshop cleanliness.
- Scottish National 5 Grades (or equivalent) in English, Maths, a Science subject and Craft/ Design Technology or Technical Drawing.
We welcome candidates who are enthusiastic, committed and happy to take on new responsibilities. The more you put in, the more you get out!
- Communication really matters; you will work with a broad and diverse group of people and you need to be able to get your point across in the best way possible
- Excellent problem solving and fault-finding skills
- Experience of team working
- A proactive approach, be self-motivated and well organised
- Good verbal and written communication skills
What we offer
We offer a very competitive apprentice salary, 33 days annual leave, company pension, flexible working and many other benefits. We also have some of the best training the industry can offer for a career and we will be there to support you at every step!
Please apply by sending your CV and a short Cover Letter to email@example.com explaining why you think you would be suitable for this role. The deadline for applications is Wednesday, 23rd September 2020.
We would like you to experience the world of work, meet the team and get some practical hands-on experience as soon as possible therefore the successful applicants would be expected to work for the company during breaks from college. This would consist of attending college courses Monday to Friday, as well as working during time off (e.g. winter break, spring break and over the summer). For years 2, 3 and 4 you would be expected to attend college one day a week and work for the company 4 days a week plus during your winter break, spring break and over the summer. Please note that you would be still entitled to take your annual leave allowance for the year.
Since this is a partnership with Inverness College, you will need to be living in the Inverness area. Unfortunately, this position is not able to consider relocation support.
SYSTEMS ENGINEER – TIDEC
In Tidetec we have developed what we believe to be the concept for two-way hydropower, such as tidal, in the most cost-effective way possible in the world. We are now expanding our Technical team to present the value of our products to various hydropower and energy industries.
The Systems Engineer in Tidetec is responsible for taking control of the systems engineering of the Tidetec turning mechanism and take responsibilities with all stakeholders involved in the systems engineering team.
- Monitoring and managing all installed systems and infrastructure – be the system architecture
- Establish, configure, test, and maintain operating systems
- Evaluate the existing systems and provide the technical direction to technical team
- Oversee the constant availability of technical solutions
- Maintain and supervise the inventory
- Prepare technical requirements, specifications, drawings, and documentation
- Modelling of technical solutions
- Excellent presenting, listening and objection handling skills
- A genuine passion for technology. Not intimidated by other disciplines, or the prospect of learning something new
- Good interpersonal skills and openness to feedback
- Good understanding of systems engineering and prototyping practices
- Ability to multi-task, while being systems engineer and remaining flexible to the needs of the business part
- Good understanding of 3D CAD software
- Excellent command of English is required
What we offer
- A young, motivated team and a great working environment
- An opportunity to be a part of a developer of the most effective tidal turbine technology
- Competitive benefits (Salary, vacation, Flexible working hours etc.)
Does the thought of working with Tidetec make you ecstatic? And are you willing to give it all to join us? Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following content:
- A short motivational letter telling us what triggers you about Tidetec and clearly describe why we should choose you.
- Attachments: CV and other relevant information that show us why you are the perfect team member.
Location: Oslo, Norway.
Celebrating 30 years of design, management and operations of small hydro in the midst of a pandemic is not the easiest thing to do!
However, our team ‘does’ difficult, innovative, quality and speed…and we are looking to expand our team.
Senior Electrical/Control Technician
Location: West Coast Scotland (between Glasgow and Inverness)
OM-3 (part of the Hydroplan Group) is a UK based Asset Management Company focused on delivering value for small hydropower schemes through Operations, Maintenance, Monitoring and Management.
We are looking for an experienced technician with an electrical, control, hydraulic background to join a team that delivers scheduled and unscheduled maintenance programmes for clients across Scotland.
The ideal candidate will be able to successfully undertake fault finding, repair and maintenance activities of hydropower plants, including PLC control, hydraulic and communication systems, single phase/three-phase electrical components and generators.
Qualifications and Experience
- A relevant qualification (degree, HND, level 3 HNC, City & Guilds or equivalent).
- 5 years+ experience working in the E&M service sector.
- Strong troubleshooting and multi-tasking skills.
- A full UK driving licence.
Key Desirable Skills
- Experience working in the hydro or renewable generation industry.
- PLC Control systems experience.
- Experience with training juniors/apprentices would be an advantage
- Some mechanical experience would be useful.
- Able to work under pressure and in remote areas.
- Excellent client-facing and communication skills.
- Proactive and ability to be flexible in a changing environment.
What we are offering
- The opportunity to work within a dedicated team that provides a unique service.
- The use of company vehicle, equipment and tools.
- Competitive salary and company pension.
To apply, please send your CV to email@example.com