Welcome to the British Hydropower Association website
The BHA is the only organisation that solely represents the UK Hydropower sector. Our members range from all-scale hydro developers and generators, investors, consulting engineers to manufacturers and suppliers of equipment. The BHA works mainly in the UK and overseas supporting and promoting the entire hydropower industry.
Hydropower is a well-established technology and it is a proven technology. The first water turbines were built in the mid 1800’s and they have been developing ever since. Turbine efficiencies are rarely below 80% which is about double that of a steam turbine. Constant and continuing design improvements have brought efficiencies of over 90%!
Research and development continues into providing new and more cost-effective solutions and improvements to the design and engineering of new schemes.
Most of the hydropower in the UK has been developed – yes again, but resource studies have indicated that as much again of undeveloped potential is viable.
At present 30% to 40% of the UK’s renewable generation is provided by hydropower!
Globally, 17% of energy is supplied – and will continue to be supplied - from hydropower sources. The UK has been involved with the export of equipment and services for about 150 years – we still have the expertise and it is still involved in business worldwide.
It is a time of change, challenge and growth for the hydropower industry and the BHA has some significant and challenging work ahead, which includes -
- Continuing dialogue and involvement with the implementation of the European Water Framework Directive and water the streamlining.
- Ensuring hydropower development, in all its forms, is considered and supported by the UK Government’s renewable energy polices.
- Streamlining licensing procedures to implement new and refurbished hydropower schemes.
- Implementing a programme of meetings, seminars, training programmes and conferences across the UK based on current issues, providing for discussion and networking opportunities.
- Developing more and deeper relationships with Ministers and government departments in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, taking advantage of relevant support mechanisms in order to maintain and improve the status of hydropower as a major renewable energy source.
Please contact us – we will be delighted to help.